Multi-Profile Set of 3 x Japanese Sharpening Stones
Rutlands Part No. JP1414SET
• Designed specifically for the accurate sharpening of profiled carving tools
• Convex profiles allow for incannel honing and polishing
• Concave channels accurately sharpen and hone external bevels
• Fine stone hones and sharpens to add a final razor sharp edge
• Medium stone rapidly restores a dull edge to a sharp edge
• Coarse stone reshapes and sharpens a blunt or damaged edge
• Each stone measures 155mm x 60mm x 15mm
Man has been sharpening edge tools with stones for thousands of years. Until very recently, the stones used were mined or quarried in specific parts of the world where the local stone exhibited all the necessary qualities required of a good sharpening stone, including and most importantly a consistent grit size.
With the introduction of new technologies, it was possible to create synthetic sharpening stones with specific grit sizes using a mixture of abrasive compounds suspended in a soft bonding material. As the supply of the premium quality natural stone has become depleted and almost exhausted, man made sharpening stones have have become more popular. Now favoured by many over the natural stones, when you purchase a synthetic Japanese sharpening stone you are guaranteed a stone with a uniform grit size that will produce consistent, high quality results when sharpening and will not vary in quality from stone to stone.