Please note, however, that we may process your personal information without consent if we have a legitimate reason to do so, provided that such use will not have a prejudicial effect on your own rights, freedoms and interests. Any such use shall be in accordance with the Rutlands Privacy Principles set out below...
What this Policy Covers
The data controller is Rutlands Limited (referred to in this policy as "we" or "us").
We are committed to doing the right thing when it comes to how we collect, use and protect your personal data. That's why we've developed this privacy and cookies policy ("Policy"), which:
- Sets out the types of personal data that we collect.
- Explains how and why we collect and use your personal data.
- Explains when and why we will share personal data within Rutlands and with other organisations.
- Explains the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal data.
We offer a wide range of products and services, so we want you to be clear about what this Policy covers. This Policy applies to you if you use our services (referred to in this Policy as "our Services"). Using our Services means:
- Shopping with us online or otherwise using any of the website where this Policy is posted.
This Policy also applies if you contact us or we contact you about our Services.
Personal Data We Collect
We may collect the following information:
This section tells you what personal data we may collect from you when you use our Services and what other personal data we may receive from other sources.
When you register for our Services, you may provide us with:
- Your personal details, including your postal and billing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers and date of birth and title.
- Your account login details, such as your username and the password that you have chosen.
When you shop with us online or browse our Website, we may collect:
- Information about your online purchases (for example, what you have bought, when and where you bought it and how you paid for it).
- Information about your online browsing behaviour on our Website and information about when you click on one of our adverts.
- Information about any devices you have used to access our Services (including the make, model and operating system, IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers).
When you contact us or we contact you or you take part in promotions or questionnaires about our Services, we may collect:
- Personal data you provide about yourself anytime you contact us about our Services (for example, your name, username and contact details).
- Details of the emails and other digital communications we send to you that you open, including any links in them that you click on.
- Your feedback and contributions to customer surveys and questionnaires.
Other sources of personal data.
We may also use personal data from other sources, such as specialist companies that supply information and online media channels. For example, this other personal data helps us to:
- Review and improve the accuracy of the data we hold; and
- improve and measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising.
How & Why We Use Personal Data
Make our Services available to you.
- Manage the accounts you hold with us.
- Process your orders and refunds.
We need to process your personal data so that we can manage your customer accounts, provide you with the goods and services you want to buy and help you with any orders and refunds you may ask for.
Manage and improve our day to day operations.
- Manage and improve our Website.
- Help to develop and improve our product range, services, information technology systems and the way we communicate with you.
We rely on the use of personal data to carry out market research and internal research and development, and to improve our information technology systems (including security) and our product range and services. This allows us to serve you better as a customer.
- Detect and prevent fraud or other crime.
It is important for us to monitor how our Services are used to detect and prevent fraud, other crimes and the misuse of services. This helps us to make sure that you can safely use our Services.
Personalise your Rutlands experience.
- Use your online browsing behaviour as well as your online purchases to help us better understand you as a customer and provide you with personalised offers and services.
Looking at your browsing behaviour and purchases allows us to personalise our offers and services for you. This helps us meet your needs as a customer.
- Provide you with relevant marketing communications (including by email or online advertising), relating to our products and services. As part of this, online advertising may be displayed on our website and on other organisations websites and online media channels. We may also measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications.
We want to ensure that we provide you with marketing communications, including online advertising, that are relevant to your interests. To achieve this we also measure your responses to marketing communications relating to products and services we offer, which also means we can offer you products and services that better meet your needs as a customer. You can change your marketing choices, both when you register with us, and at any time after that. You also have choices when it comes to online advertising. We set out below your choices when it comes to cookies, and how you can control your online behavioural advertising preferences.
Contact and interact with you.
- Contact you about our Services, for example by email or post.
We want to serve you better as a customer so we use personal data to provide clarification or assistance in response to your communications
- Manage promotions and feedback you take part in.
We need to process your personal data so that we can manage the promotions and feedback you choose to enter.
- Invite you to take part in and manage customer surveys, questionnaires and other market research activities carried out by Rutlands and by other organisations on our behalf.
We carry out market research to improve our Services. However, if we contact you about this, you do not have to take part in the activities. If you tell us that you do not want us to contact you for market research, we will respect this choice. This will not affect your ability to use our Services.
How We Protect Personal Data
We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, and we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files to keep this data safe. We only authorise access to employees who need it to carry out their job responsibilities.
- We protect the security of your information while it is being transmitted by encrypting it using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- We enforce physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personal data. We may occasionally ask for proof of identity before we share your personal data with you.
- We will reveal only the last four digits of your credit card number when confirming an order.
However, whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the internet to us.
The personal data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by companies operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our service providers. We will put in place appropriate protection to make sure your personal data remains adequately protected and is treated in line with this Policy.
Marketing & Market Research
We will send you relevant offers and news about our products and services in a number of ways including by email, but only if you have previously agreed to receive these marketing communications. When you register with us we will ask if you would like to receive marketing communications, and you can change your marketing choices online at any time.
We also like to hear your views to help us to improve our Services, so we may contact you for market research purposes. You always have the choice about whether to take part in our market research.
Sharing Personal Data with Service Providers
We work with carefully selected Service Providers that carry out certain functions on our behalf. These include, for example, companies that help us with technology services, storing and combining data, processing payments and delivering orders. We only share personal data that enable our Service Providers to provide their services.
Sharing Personal Data with Other Organisations
We may share personal data with other organisations in the following circumstances:
- If the law or a public authority says we must share the personal data;
- If we need to share personal data in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (this includes providing personal data to others for the purposes of preventing fraud and reducing credit risk).
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
The table below explains the cookies we use and why....
|These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
|EU cookie requirements||
This cookie is set by the by the web site to control the menu on the left.
If you would like a copy of the personal data we hold about you, please email us at
If you would like a copy of the personal data we hold about you, please email us at email@example.com.
We want to make sure that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and up to date. If any of the details are incorrect, please let us know and we will amend them.